Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Drink It. Big Bar at Alcove.

It was big news in Los Feliz when Big Bar at Alcove opened last fall. This past weekend was the first time I made it there, and it was so delicious, I'll definitely be back.

After a late dinner at Speranza, my boyfriend, our friend, and I were looking for a well-crafted cocktail. After considering Cole's Red Car Bar and The Hungry Cat, we thought of Big Bar and headed up Hillhurst.

The bar itself is actually quite small (about ten leather stools surrounding a light gray marble bar, and some small tables in the room as well), with attractive decor like vintage light fixtures and plenty of silver.

I started out with one of their specialty drinks, The New Brunswick: Famous Grouse Scotch, maple syrup, and lemon (pictured above). It reminded me slightly of a sidecar, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everything on the menu sounded so good, when it came time for round two, I switched to the Bourbon Milk Punch, which disappeared in record time. I held off on ordering another, but it could have easily gone that way. It was crisp, cold, refreshing, and totally delicious, topped with freshly ground nutmeg.

Hank stuck with the citrusy margarita-like tequila-based option, The Lily. I had a sip and found it quite tart, but if you're not one for sweet concoctions, you'd love it.

Also good to know: the bartenders are happy to chat about what liquors/flavors you generally like, and create an off-the-menu mixed drink just for you.

-- Leslie Anne Wiggins

Photo credit: the BEAT

No comments:

Post a Comment