Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Eat Out. Houston's.

Last night I had dinner at Houston's. This mini chain is great because - like all chains - no matter which location you go to, you know what you're in for. Century City was the first Houston's I went to, and it remains a favorite. Other locations include Santa Monica and Manhattan Beach. The relaxing dim lighting and classic wood decor are really appealing in a restaurant. They also have a full bar. One of their best drinks, I think, is the sidecar. They make it with fresh juice and it's really delicious.

Popular appetizer choices are spinach dip (served with sour cream, salsa, and tortilla chips) and grilled artichokes. Sushi was added to the Houston's menu at least five years ago, but somehow it still surprises me that you're able to get such quality sushi at what seems to be a steak/burgers/salads place. They also do grilled fish really well - from salmon to yesterday's special, sea bass. I got the tuna avocado mango roll, which is a cut roll made with soy paper (my favorite). It's served with a trio of sauces, and also of course wasabi, soy sauce, and ginger. The flavors and textures all mix really well together.

The key lime pie at Houston's rivals any in Key West (I actually don't know that for sure, but I imagine, cause it's damn good). It's a pale natural color, creamy, sweet, and tart all at the same time, with a rustic graham cracker crust. YUM!

The bill is one of the least fun parts of the Houston's experience. All that quality doesn't come cheap. But I don't think anyone exits the big heavy doors with buyer's remorse.

-- Leslie Anne Wiggins

Photo credit: threebrownchicks

No comments:

Post a Comment