Well, here we go, another one of Heather's its-so-simple, no-real-measurements-to-speak-of recipes! Sorry, readers, that's just how I cook.
- 1 cup fresh basil
- A handful toasted or raw pine nuts (2 tablespoons?)
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- Grated Parmesan (again, 2 tablespoons?)
- Olive Oil (until it looks right! 1/3 cupish)
- A pinch of coarse Salt (sea or kosher) and pepper
- Using a food processor (need one? check this), chop the basil, nuts, and garlic together.
- Add the salt, pepper, and cheese.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the food processor is running.
- Pause occasionally to check the consistency and scrape the sides.
- The finished product should be rough (not a paste), but well combined.
You can improvise on this method and add other ingredients: sundried tomatoes, spinach, even replace basil with other herbs--like parsley--as a base.
-- Heather Robertson