Pages

Monday, July 19, 2010

Etc. Baking Soda.

I always have one or two boxes of baking soda in my refrigerator to neutralize food odors, and to occasionally shake down into the waste disposal to keep that smelling fresh (or at least not smelling) too. Baking soda is known for its amazing versatility, and this weekend I learned a new use for it--to help cure spider bites!

A few months ago when a bee stung my neck downtown Los Angeles, I learned that a water/baking soda paste would alleviate the discomfort/pain of the sting. It worked, but I didn't immediately think of this when a spider bite (or so we think) came up on Hank's toe this weekend.

After a little online research, I learned the wonder paste will bring up the venom, and prevent bacteria from forming. After a few applications of the paste, the bite had come much more to the surface and was looking closer to its end.

At under $2 a box, it's worth having plenty of baking soda on hand for whatever life may throw your way! Even if that means actual baking.

-- Leslie Anne Wiggins

Photo credit: realsimple.com

No comments:

Post a Comment