Pages

Monday, March 8, 2010

Make It. Line drying [A clean house on the cheap].

Laundry. Pretty basic stuff. Most of us are taught how to wash, dry, and fold a load of clothes as one of the first chores we have when we're kids. My laundry life was recently changed when I discovered the wonders of using a drying rack instead of a dryer and I probably will never go back.

First, It's environmentally friendly. Just set up your clothes and let Mother Nature work her magic. No electricity needed. Your clothes retain their shape better and (this could be my imagination) but they don't seem to fade in color as quickly.

It's safe. I've never hesitated to leave the house because I left clothes out to dry, unlike the dryer which you have to be home to watch. And because it takes a few hours for your clothes to dry, it actually feels quicker. You're not bound to the house because you're doing laundry. After the wash, just hang up the clothes and you can continue about your day. If you leave white clothes outside on a drying rack or line, the sun naturally bleaches your clothes and kills germs that may have survived the wash cycle. There's actually a whole movement to use drying racks instead of dryers because of the many benefits associated with it.

It's really amazing. I can't believe I haven't discovered this before.

A quick Google search yielded many options for line drying. In my apartment I have a pull out accordion-style drying rack mounted on the wall in a bathroom, but there are many varieties. This one, though, nicely folds away after you're done drying your clothes and isn't bulky.

Oh, and did I mention it's free? No electricity bills, no saving up quarters. After the initial investment of purchasing a rack, you're all set.

-- Lauren Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment