Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

Eat Out. The perfect pickle.



One of the things I will miss most when I leave Los Angeles, will be the phenomenal pickles at Canter's Deli. I am a huge pickle fan, and my quest to find the perfect pickle has taken me everywhere. I once walked to about one mile in early January to visit the hundred-year old business The Pickle Guys in New York's Lower Eastside, where they sell half-sour, sour, hot sour, and horseradish pickles and those were only comperable to the amazingness of Canter's pickles.

For me, the qualities that make a good pickle great are: a good crunch, a fair amount of salt (of course), not too much dill, and a lot of garlic. Canter's pickles have these qualities in spades. I once bought a small vat of these pickles, and ate one every few days for maybe close to two weeks. They are just that good.

The rest of their menu isn't stellar, but them being a deli and me being a vegetarian, there aren't too many options for me anyway. They do have a tasty double-baked potato and a good cup of coffee and when I visit that's usually what my meal consists of: potato, pickles, and coffee.

Canter's Deli is located at 419 N. Fairfax Avenue in Los Angeles.

-- Lauren Williams

No comments:

Post a Comment